Tax season is upon us, so take these tips and consult with your local accountant or CPA.
1. Mortgage Interest Deduction - interest you pay on a mortgage up to $1 million married, or up to $500,000 if you are married filing separately.
2. PMI and FHA Mortgage Insurance premiums - deduct as mortgage interest, itemize on your return.
3. Prepaid interest (or points) is 100% deductible in the year you paid it.
4. Property tax deduction - deduct the real estate property taxes you pay. If you bought a house this year, check your HUD statement.
5. Energy-Efficiency Upgrades - you might qualify for the residential energy tax credit, upgrades that qualify include: biomass stoves, heating, ventilation, air conditioning, insulation, roofs, water heaters, windows, doors, skylights.
6. Vacation Home deductions - keep good records, consult with your accountant on these complex rules.
7. Home buyer tax credit - for home purchases during years 2008,2009,2010.
For taxes related to the Santa Fe and Northern New Mexico area, I recommend:
Arlen Sarkissian, Peace of Mind - accountant, tax preparation, CFO services.
City of Santa Fe 2017 Home sales up 26% from 2016.2017 Santa Fe MLS 1s
"We have just completed the purchase of a new house on Lorenzo Road and the sale of our condo in Park Plazas. Peter Kahn handled both transactions. I just want to report to you the high level of professionalism and courtesy he brought to his representation. Peter really knows his business. But, as important, he was right on top of every development, immediately available at all times, knew when things needed a nudge, advised us in a way that indicated he had our best interest at heart, enabled us to prepare our property so that it was ready for sale (it sold within 24 hours of being listed on multiple listings for 5k over the appraised value).
We now consider Peter a friend. We have recommended him to several friends."